Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cognitive Surplus

At first, i got confused with what Mr. Shriky was saying. But once i analized the video, it all made a lot more sense. It was really interesting, not only because of the reflectios he made, but for all the analisys that was made about the past, and that somehow lets us understand everything a little more.
It is true that all of us own a lot of potential, making us capable of performing many important things, but it is also true that most of our potential, is mostly wasted. Without knowing, we become only consumers and not producers. A lot of time we create this wonderful ideas that we tend to keep for ourselves, not letting anyone to find out about them, maybe beacuse of fear to cause rejection. However, Mr. Shirky taught me that the beginning of a change comes with sharing what we think. That will be a great start.
I consider myself as a not consumer at all. I think this because there are many things out there in the market that do not call my atention, not even a little. However, watching this video made me think about how i use my free time, and wether i use it for something that´s worth o not. I have always something to do, and because of my job and the social work i do i think i make a pretty good use of my time, i make a good use of this “cognitive surplus”. With this video i realized that because of my job that is involved with children, i somehow become part of the change, i am doing something to help improve our society.

2 comments:

  1. VerĂ³nica - I enjoyed reading this entry. I am glad that you learned from watching this video and that it helped you reflect on some important aspects of your life. Our free time is such a big issue because that is where we show who we really are. I am sure that your decision to share more will get you to eventually produce more as well. So, go ahead and be confident in your ideas and share them with people who will care and will share with you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As i said sometimesis dificult to share ideas, but i will try. i promise!

    ReplyDelete